Happy week for global markets!
Last updated: 02 Apr, 2021 | 03:58 pm
Expectation of economic recovery drives up global equities
- Major global markets ended the holiday-shortened week with gains, buoyed by optimism around economic recovery and supportive policy announcements.
- The US markets spiked during the week over the expectation of economic recovery on the back of a $2.25 trillion infrastructure stimulus plan.
- German equity market (up 2.5% in the week) rose to near-record highs on expectations of a speedy economic recovery.
- France’s equity market gained on the back of solid factory output data, however, the third nationwide lockdown capped the gains.
- Chinese equities too ended the week strongly on the back of favourable tax cuts (RMB 550 billion). Strong March PMI data and positive global cues also supported the sentiments.
- In Japan, rising Covid-19 cases hurt the investor sentiments, however, favourable global cues supported the indices to end the week on a positive note.
- In India, the equity market 2.5% higher, as expectations of better macro numbers, global market rally, reduced FII selling kept sentiments upbeat.
Check out our other analysis on important market developments!
Macro data, global stock rally, FII flows among major drivers for Indian markets this week: The markets saw another interesting week, with the Nifty see-sawing between losses and gains in the holiday-shortened March 30th (Tuesday) to April 1 (Thursday) period. The market was closed on Monday on account of Holi. The Nifty advanced on Tuesday, closing 2.3% higher, as expectations of better macro numbers, global market rally, reduced FII selling kept sentiments upbeat. Read our analysis
How global and Indian markets fared in 2021: Key equity market indices in the USA ended higher in February. After registering notable gains in the first 20 days, indices in the US markets fell in the last 10 days of the months. Here’s our analysis.
Nifty Q3 earnings review: Most of the companies in the Nifty 50 index have reported better-than-estimated results in Oct-Dec 20 period, signalling that Nifty companies have left pandemic blues behind. Check our detailed review.